Thursday, October 4, 2012

Spinach Khichdi

Again!! I am suffering from spinach fever, haa haa! Preparing tiffin everyday seems very challenging, when you have someone whose expectations are high (I have to confess, I am responsible for that high-expectation, sigh!). So this rice recipe fulfilled all his expectations & I was satisfied too!

This leafy vegetable, spinach, is easily available in our nearby local market & it has a huge role in most of my successful "experimental"-recipes. This one is a full meal itself. But if you want, you can prepare my Eggplant recipe & enjoy them both.

One more request I have, please join my blog & give me some feedback, if you like my blog. Your comments are valuable.




Ingredients:

Rice - 100gm \ 1 large cup, uncooked
Sona Mung daal- 50gm, no need to fry
Spinach paste (thick paste)- 1-1/2 cups
Coconut - 1/2 cup, cut into small cubes
onion - 1, small, chopped
capsicum - 1, small, finely chopped
Ginger paste - 1tbsp
chilly - 1
Turmeric powder - 1/2 tsp
cumin seeds - 1tsp
Fenugreek sedds - 1tsp
Bay leaf - 2
oil to fry
salt to taste
sugar
water (do not worry about quantity)


Method:

1. Wash & soak, both rice & daal, together or separately.

2. Heat oil in a cooker. Add bay leaves, cumin & fenugreek seeds. When the seeds start to splatter, add onions. Saute for 1-2min. Add capsicum & coconut pieces, saute for 2mins again. Now add the spinach & ginger pastes. Cook for 3mins.

3. Add rice & daal. Add salt, sugar, chilly flakes & turmeric powder. Saute for 5 more mins.

4. Add 4cups of water. Cover and cook on high flame & wait for the cooker to whistle 4-5 times. Turn off the heat & let it set for 10-15 mins.

5. Transfer to a serving plate & enjoy.




Linking to:  Combo meals for kids @ Nithu's Kitchen & Nivedhanam

1 comment:

  1. that is so delicious and healthy!! Thanks for linking it to my event!! Looking for more yummy entries!!
    Sowmya
    Ongoing Event - Healthy Foods for Healthy Kids - Combo Meals
    Ongoing Event + Giveaway - CEDD – HONEY

    ReplyDelete